1. Prioritize and narrow your focus. No one can achieve all of his or her goals at once. Prioritize which goals are most important and make a step-by-step plan for how you will achieve them. Then, focus on each of these steps, one at a time, until you’ve reached your overall goal. Not only is it easier and less overwhelming to focus on smaller, achievable goals, it’s also satisfying to accomplish each of them along the way.
2. Set milestones and reward yourself. Throughout your goal plan, determine several milestones and once you achieve them, reward yourself! Landed an interview? Treat yourself to a new interview outfit. Scored a major client that will ultimately be a stepping stone to a promotion? Sounds like a long bubble bath or nice dinner (or both!) is in order.
3. Envision yourself at your goal. Whether your goal is to get a new job, a promotion or lead your company to its all-time peak, envisioning yourself reaching your goal can revitalize your somewhat-depleted energies and refuel your passion for actually getting there.
4. Tell someone and get support. Career resolutions are hard and you’re guaranteed to have some setbacks. Tell your goal to someone you trust now so that they can provide much-needed support later when you get another rejection letter or make a huge mistake at work.
5. There’s an app for that. Download one of these New Year Resolutions apps to track and plan your progress:
Way of Life – The Ultimate Habit Maker & Breaker
Bloom* – Bloom* inspires you to live every day to the fullest.
30/30 – You’ve never experienced a task manager like this!
Any.DO Task & To-do List – Millions use Any.DO every day to remember all the things they want to do and make sure to get it done.
Errands To-Do List – Errands is a task manager with a pleasing design and is easy to learn and use.
LinkedIn – Professional networking on your mobile.
Interview Skills – Turn the table and see what the interviewer is looking for.
LifeTick – Goal setting the way it should be.