Podcasts have been around for years, but with the success of binge-worthy storytelling podcasts like “Serial,” podcasts are (finally) getting the attention they deserve. They’re great for multitasking, like listening to the morning news roundup from NPR while you’re in the shower, or entertainment, like Pop Culture Happy Hour, during your morning commute.
Did you know that podcasts can also make you better at your job? As a writer and editor, I have dozens of writing and editing podcasts in my Podcast App. And since I write content for recruiting and talent acquisition pros, recruiting podcasts are always in my listening lineup. They’re free, interesting, and I learn something brilliant every time I listen.
Some are easier to find than others, so I’m sharing my favorites below to get you started!
- Imagine a morning FM shock jock radio show, add one really animated host, and you have the Recruiting Animal podcast. Sometimes individual guests, sometimes panels, sometimes call-ins, but lots of relevant discussions about recruiting.
- Recruiting Future is one of the most on-topic and best-produced recruiting podcasts. Hosted by Matt Alder, an expert when it comes to the HR technology space, his interviewing skills make the typical 20-30 minute episode fly by.
- The Renegade Recruiter Unleashed, hosted by Terry Edwards, is an honest look at agency and entrepreneurial recruiting. My recent favorite: #55: What Recruitment and Search Firms Can Learn from McDonald’s and Starbucks.
- Hosted by Entelo’s Rob Stevenson, along with various members of the Entelo talent team, “Hiring on All Cylinders” covers the madcap world of recruiting, hiring and everything in between. Highly entertaining, fast-paced, and always with a takeaway.
- The Rec Tech Podcast, hosted by Chris Russell, features interviews with industry execs, startups, job boards and recruiters. It's all about recruiting technology and how to use it to recruit better. Self-serving recommendation: Podcast #5 features Jobs2Career’s very own Thad Price!
- The Human Capital Institute’s “Nine-to-Thrive HR” is smart, topical, and features guests like Jennifer McClure (of Unbridled Talent and DisruptHR), Matt Charney (Recruiting Daily), and many other well-known influencers in the recruiting world.
- It’s All Recruiting (formerly known as “The Social Recruiter”) is hosted by longtime industry veteran (and Global Head of Sourcing and Recruiting Strategy for Randstad Sourceright US) Jim Stroud. While he’s not podcasting as frequently now, the archives are worth a listen!
- One of the longest running podcasts in our industry, “HR Happy Hour” is hosted by Steve Boese, the Co-Chair of the HR Technology Conference, and Trish McFarlane, author of the HR Ringleader blog, and speaker on HR and workplace topics
- The Hire Up podcast, “devoted to everything human resources,” is exactly what its tagline promises. Hosted by 25-year industry veteran John Beck, this one is a great mix of interviews, commentary, trends, news, and anything HR-related.
- If I only have time for one podcast today, it’s the Awesome Office Show. Hosted by Sean Kelly, SnackNation CEO, and Sean Spear of Hughes Marino, this one always has actionable strategies from leaders at successful companies on how to be a better leader and create a top-notch company culture.
If you’ve never subscribed to a podcast, just go to the Podcast App on your phone (iOS or Android) and search for the name of the podcast. You can also go directly to the website and listen from your laptop.
I could go on and on...but we’d really love to hear from you! Are you a podcast listener? What are your favorites (recruiting or otherwise)? Leave a note in the comments so we can update our list!